This healthy chicken is both sweet and tart from balsamic vinegar and honey, and is super delicious. The onions, garlic and mushrooms add extra flavor and health benefits!
So what's not to love about balsamic chicken? I love balsamic vinegar, but I'll admit I don't really appreciate it as much as I should. It's my go-to for salad dressings and SO delicious with chicken.
Balsamic vinegar is a little tart (ok maybe not a little lol), so it's best paired with something sweet. And that's where the honey comes in!
Honey is the perfect sweetener for pretty much anything, from desserts to stir fries, because it's natural, unrefined, and so addicting.
Then of course you gotta add mushrooms, onions, and garlic, otherwise it wasn't me who made it (JK obviously, but for real you'll see A LOT of these in my recipes).🤣
How to Make Honey Balsamic Chicken and Mushrooms
Like all my recipes, I try to make it as simple as possible. This time it only requires one pan and 10 minutes of prepping!
It starts with the vegetables--cook down onions, mushrooms, and garlic. They'll give you extra flavor and extra health benefits!
Then, cut the chicken in half. You should end up with 4 skinny chicken breasts, which allows them to cook faster and get more flavor.
Season the chicken well on both sides, then cook it in some oil. Only a minute on each side to get them nicely seared. Make sure you do not move them! Once they're placed on the pan, they stay until it's time to flip.
Then you add the vegetables back in, plus the balsamic vinegar, honey, and seasonings! Now you can toss around the chicken.
Cook it for only 3-5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, then remove chicken and cook the sauce! It doesn't need to reduce too much, just let it thicken a bit.
Then you can serve and enjoy your chicken and mushrooms. 🙂
How to Serve Honey Balsamic Chicken and Mushrooms
Serve it any way you want! It tastes amazing on its own, but would pair really well with some brown rice (or cauliflower rice!).
If you really want to get those veggies in, some roasted vegetables would be a great option.
Add a little sprinkling of parsley for some freshness, or some salad greens! Honestly you do you. If you decide to eat it with garlic bread I won't judge.😉
I shouldn't have mentioned garlic bread; now I really want some.😂
I really hope you like this recipe! If you decide to make it, be sure to post a picture and tag me @nutritiousdelights on Instagram--I'd love to see it!❤️
More recipes you might love:
Honey Balsamic Chicken and Mushrooms
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic herb seasoning divided
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon oregano dried
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large nonstick pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes, then lower heat to medium high and add garlic, cooking for a minute. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning. Remove from pan.
- Cut each chicken breast in half, so you end up with 4 skinny chicken breasts. Season both sides with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon italian seasoning.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on high heat. Place the chicken and cook for 1 minute on each side. Do not move it around (only move when flipping). Add the cooked mushrooms and onions with the balsamic vinegar, honey, italian seasoning, oregano, and remaining salt, pepper, and garlic herb seasoning. Cook for 2-5 minutes (depending on how thick the chicken is), then remove the chicken. Do not remove the chicken until the internal temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep cooking everything else until the sauce thickens slightly, or to preference. Remove from pan and serve.