These chicken are stuffed with cheesy spinach and mushrooms for a delicious and healthy meal. It's low in carbs and easy to prepare!
If you ask me, everything is better when it's stuffed with cheese! (and vegetables too, of course).
Similarly to this Healthy Cheese-Stuffed Chicken , this recipe combines chicken with a cheesy filling that is packed with vegetables.
It's also low in carbs! And high in fat if you want, but it doesn't have to be. This comforting meal is super healthy, and one to make on repeat.
Ingredients in Hasselback Chicken
Chicken Breasts: Chicken breasts are high in protein and low in fat! Their shape is perfect for hasselback and holds the filling well.
Mushrooms, Spinach, and Broccoli: The vegetables in this recipe! These are some of my favorites and go really well with the chicken and cheese.
Mozzarella: you can use fat free, reduced fat, or full fat! I usually use fat free in my recipes, but it will taste good with any fat content.
Parmesan: this savory cheese brings a sharp flavor and cheesy goodness to the chicken.
That's pretty much it! Super simple and easy.
How to Make Hasselback Chicken
The steps in this recipe are minimal. It's just cut the chicken, cook the vegetables, stuff the chicken, and bake!
1. Season and cut the chicken- the three seasonings used here are salt, pepper, and garlic herb seasoning. Rub it all over the chicken. Then create slits across the chicken, about 6-8 depending on size. Stop the cut about ⅘ of the way down, so that you don't fully cut the chicken, but you get in as much stuffing as possible.
2. Cook the vegetables- they should be cooked down well so that they give maximum flavor. Season and melt in the cheeses.
3. Stuff the chicken- get as much in there as you can! More cheese = more flavor. Top it with cheese.
4. Bake- the exact baking time will depend on your oven, but it should be about 20 minutes. Know exactly when it's done and safe to eat if the internal temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then enjoy! Simple as that.
I really hope you like this recipe! If you decide to make it, be sure to post a picture and tag me @nutritiousdelights on Instagram--I'd love to see it!
More chicken recipes you'll love:
Cheesy Hasselback Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 3 cups spinach chopped
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup mozzarella, plus more for topping fat free or reduced fat
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic herb seasoning
- Rub ½ tablespoon garlic herb seasoning, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper on the chicken, both sides. Using a sharp knife, cut slits in the chicken (6-8, depending on size) stopping about ⅘ of the way to the bottom. Do this on each chicken.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking tray lined with foil and place the cut chicken onto it. Set aside.
- In a medium or large nonstick pan, heat up a tablespoon of oil on high heat. Add the broccoli and cook for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms with the second tablespoon of oil. Cook for another 2 minutes, then add garlic and spinach and cook until it fully wilts. Season with the remaining salt, pepper, and garlic herb seasoning. Add both cheeses and stir to combine.
- Use a spoon to stuff each slit in the chicken with the vegetable filling. Top the chicken with cheese and bake for about 20 minutes, until the internal temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Enjoy!