The perfect healthy on-the-go snack that has only 5 ingredients and is so tasty!
These little energy balls are just perfect for so many reasons.
They are only 5 ingredients, require short prep time, are gluten free, have no flour, have plenty of fiber and protein, and have no refined sugar.
Plus, they are sooo good.
These balls are especially helpful to people like me who have over-snacking problems.
When I want a snack, it’s usually when I am feeling lazy. And I don’t know about you, but when I’m feeling lazy and in a snack mood, I will eat the first thing I see. I’m not going to actually make something. Honestly, who would?
This can be a problem because usually the most convenient food is prepackaged and/or processed. Not a healthy-eater’s ideal choice.
BUT what if you have some healthy energy bites just waiting for you in the fridge to be eaten?
Most times that I make these, I *accidentally* eat most of them at once. Whoops! 😂
But honestly, who can blame me? They’re too good to resist!
These are some of the nutritional benefits:
- Healthy fats
- Gluten free
- No flour
- No refined sugar
Of course, these benefits all come from the ingredients!
The ingredients in these healthy chocolate chip oat bites are really what make them so magical!
- Rolled Oats: full of fiber and gluten free, rolled oats are the perfect binder, along with:
- Flax meal: another great source of fiber as well as protein, omega-3, and a good amount of vitamins and minerals.
- Honey: the unrefined, natural sweetener used to make these balls sweet and also helps to bind them.
- Almond butter: gives these energy bites the perfect texture as well as adding healthy fats, fiber and protein! I recommend using a brand that has no added oil or preservatives.
- Mini chocolate chips: the star ingredient and one of the reasons these are so darn addicting. It will still taste great without then, but I would never pass on a chance to add chocolate😉 I used vegan mini chocolate chips, but you can use whatever kind you want.
If you decide to make these, be sure to tag me @nutritiousdelights on Instagram—I would love to see it!❤️
Healthy Chocolate Chip Oat Bites
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup flax meal
- ⅓ cup almond butter or allergy-friendly sub
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Prepare tray lined with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Roll into small balls. Size does not really matter, but I made them about 1 inch cubed.
- Place on tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.