Healthy Small Batch Brownies [Vegan, Gluten Free]
If you don’t have a crowd to feed, these small batch brownies are perfect to satisfy your cravings and still have leftovers to enjoy tomorrow. They’re super chewy, fudgy, and rich, while still healthy, vegan, and gluten free.
- 1 tablespoon finely ground flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup nut butter e.g. almond
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ⅓ cup granulated sweetener e.g. cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon nondairy milk e.g. oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup oat flour (blended oats)
- ⅓ cup fine, blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup dairy free chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a loaf pan. Line the pan with parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flaxseed meal and water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken. Mix together all the wet ingredients (applesauce, nut butter, oil, sugar, milk, and vanilla), then fold in the dry (oat flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder). Fold in the chocolate chips.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes. Let it cool for about 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool for an hour (you can technically eat it right away if you can't wait, but it will be looser and can easily fall apart). Slice and enjoy! Keep refrigerated.